After a one year hiatus, the Postal Service® has announced mailing promotions for 2019. For the past few years the Postal Service has offered mailing promotions and price incentives to create awareness for new and innovative uses of mail. Due to the absence of any presidentially-appointed governors, they did not have the authority to establish promotional pricing for 2018.
Now that there are two governors on the board, promotions have been approved for 2019. The promotions “continue to encourage marketers, printers and mailers to utilize new technology and print techniques that enhance the traditional benefits of a physical mail piece.”₁ The hope is that response rates increase, the value of direct and transitional mail will increase, and the volume of mail will rise or remain steady.
Below are the six 2019 mailing promotions:
- Tactile, Sensory and Interactive Promotion runs from February 1 to July 31 for Marketing Mail®. It encourages mailers to use innovations in paper, substrates, inks, interactive elements, and finishing techniques.
- Emerging and Advanced Technology Promotion for First-Class Mail® and Marketing Mail runs from March 1 through August 31. Mailers should incorporate emerging technologies in their direct mail such as AR, VR/MR, NFC, Video in Print, multichannel mail integration with Addressable TV or digital assistants.
- Earned Value Reply Mail Promotion is April 1 through June 30 for First-Class Mail. This promotion provides a 3 cent credit when customers return Business Reply Mail, Courtesy Reply Mail and Share Mail envelopes and cards.
- Personalized Color Transpromo Promotion applies to First-Class Mail and encourages mailers to incorporate color messaging on their bills and statements. It runs from July 1 to December 31.
- Mobile Shopping Promotion applies to Marketing Mail and is from August 1 to December 31. Mailers must integrate their mail with mobile technologies like QR codes and other new formats to drive customers to an online shopping experience.
- Informed Delivery Promotion runs from September 1 to November 30 and applies to both First-Class and Marketing Mail. It encourages mailers to incorporate Informed Delivery in their campaigns so that customers receive a color image and link in an email from the USPS before receiving the physical mail piece.
All the promotions except the Earned Value Reply Mail Promotion provide an upfront 2% postage discount during the promotion period.
For more information on the 2019 promotions, go to https://postalpro.usps.com/promotions/2019_calendar.
If you have questions or want to discuss how J&Q can help you take advantage of these promotions, contact us at 847.588.4800 or email@example.com and ask for Sales.
₁ USPS Postal Pro – https://postalpro.usps.com/promotions