The Postal Service will implement new postal rates on January 22, 2023. This increase comes just 6 months after the previous increase in July 2022. The new rates include a $0.03 increase in the price of a First-Class Forever stamp – from $0.60 to $0.63 each. According to the Postal Service these ongoing price increases are needed due to rising inflation and increasing operating expenses.
Other key rate increases for mailers include:
- Marketing Mail Letter rates have an average increase of 5.77% or $0.017 each
- Marketing Mail Auto rates increased 3.4% or $.01 each while Carrier Rates have a higher increase of 7.3% or over $.02 each
- First-Class Auto Rates have an average increase of 3.3% or $0.016 each
- First-Class Postcards increase 6.4% or $.022 each
This increase was almost entirely based on the changes in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) since the previous price change last July. The Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) had granted additional pricing authority to the Postal Service based on three areas which were not available for this January increase –
- “Density” – loss of mail volume per stop
- “Retirement” – prefunding obligations for retiree health care and pensions
- “Non-compensatory” – price increases on “underwater” products
However, the above will likely factor into a July price increase. Yes, another postage increase is expected in July!
For an updated postage chart including commercial First-Class, Marketing Mail and Nonprofit Mail, download J&Q’s FREE Direct Mailer’s Deskside Companion.
Consider participating in a USPS Promotion to reduce postage costs.
The following promotions will run in 2023 and can offset the cost of postage from 3% to 6% depending on the promotion:
- Tactile, Sensory, and Interactive – Marketing & First-Class Mail – from February 1 – July 31 with a 5% discount
- Personalized Color Promo – First-Class Mail – February 1 – July 31 with 3% or 4% discounts
- Emerging and Advanced Technology and Mobile Shopping – Marketing & First-Class Mail – May 1 – November 30 with a 3% or 4% discount
- New Reply Mail IMbA – Business Reply Mail promo – July 1 – December 31 with 3% or 6% discounts
- Informed Delivery – Marketing & First-Class Mail – August 1 – December 31 with a 4% discount
- New Retargeting Mail – First-Class Mail – September 1 – November 30 with a 5% discount.
For more details on each promotion see the USPS website or contact us for information.
If you have any questions on the postage rates, USPS promotions, or how to optimize your mail programs to mail them at the lowest possible costs contact us at 847.588.4800 or firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for Sales.