By Kay Wilt
The good news – for consumers the 49 cent Forever Stamp remains at 49 cents. However, for direct marketers presorted First-Class and Standard postage rates increase today.
For a chart of the new postage rates, along with other useful mailing information, download Johnson & Quin’s Direct Mailer’s Deskside Companion.
So how much was the postal increase this time around?
Most direct mail programs mail Standard Class unless the content or deliverability of the piece requires the faster delivery and higher rates of First-Class. Letter sized Standard mail will see these type of increases –
- The highest rate – Mixed AADC is now $.304, up 1% or $.003 per piece.
- The lowest rate – Saturation Carrier Route to SCF’s is now $.157, up 2.61% or $.004 per piece.
Standard Nonprofit letter rates increase as follows –
- The highest rate – Mixed AADC is now $.185, up 1.09% or $.002 per piece.
- The lowest rate – Saturation Carrier Route to SCF’s is now $.080, up 5.26% or $.004 per piece.
Even though the retail First-Class stamp remains at $.49 each, automated First-Class rates for packages under 1 ounce increased as much as a penny per piece –
- The highest rate – Mixed AADC is now $.439, up .92% or $.004 per piece.
- The lowest rate – 5 digit is now $.391, up 2.62% or $.01 per piece.
Mailers can assume that their postage costs will increase about 2% which eats into their return on investment and profitability. Discuss the strategy for obtaining the lowest postage rates for your mailing programs with your mailing service provider, while making in-home dates.
In the meantime, download our Direct Mailer’s Deskside Companion that includes postage rates for Standard, Nonprofit and First-Class letters, postcards and flats, as well as other handy reference information –
- Mail piece qualification specs for Letters, Flats and Postcards
- Overview of Postal Optimization methods
- Intelligent Mail® Barcode placement checklist
- Fraction & Decimal Equivalent Chart for quick calculations of component sizes